Definition of allspice in English:
1The dried aromatic fruit of a West Indian tree, used whole or ground as a culinary spice.
- While working on the dates, I boiled down the wine with honey and spices - whole black peppercorns, allspice, clove, cinnamon, and a bay leaf, along with grated zest of orange.
- For the curry oil, in a medium bowl, mix together the cinnamon turmeric, cardamom, cayenne pepper, allspice, white pepper, and cloves.
- Spices - cumin, allspice, cinnamon, and cloves - are used sparingly but more prominently in the south of the Aegean, where Arab influence has left its mark, particularly in Crete and the Dodecanese.
2A tree of the myrtle family from which allspice is obtained. Also called pimento.
- Pimenta dioica, family Myrtaceae
- The spicy tea made from the bay leaf (a member of the allspice family) is not only soothing, but can also help fight off the beginnings of a cold or the flu.
- The allspice tree is not related to the pepper or to capsicum plants.
- Pimenta racemose is of the same family as allspice and has a similar scent and taste.
3An aromatic North American tree or shrub.
- Genus Calycanthus, family Calycanthaceae: several species, in particular Carolina allspice (C. floridus) and smooth allspice (C. fertilis)
- Smaller trees and shrubs include red maple, Carolina allspice, and the fragrant spicebush.
- Purchase Carolina allspice when it's in flower because the quality of the fragrance varies from plant to plant.
- Many, but not all Carolina allspice have a complex fruity, spicy smell.
Words that rhyme with allspicetitmice • dormice
Definition of allspice in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.