Definition of allusion in English:
1An expression designed to call something to mind without mentioning it explicitly; an indirect or passing reference: an allusion to Shakespeare a classical allusion
More example sentences
- We are a people of messages and signals, of allusions and indirect expression.
- It is the allusions and references that lend charm to this art form.
- It's interesting to see how many references or allusions to these festivals remain in contemporary Britain.
reference to, mention of, suggestion of, hint to, intimation of, comment on, remark on
1.1The practice of making allusions, especially as an artistic device.
- With its emphasis on personification and topical allusion, allegory has a long association with political discourse.
- I'm making the really clear case that I know the difference between evidence and what is allusion and assertion and the rest.
- Such Biblical allusion was in stark contrast to the welter of less printable comments being bellowed by the faithful.
Words that rhyme with allusioncollusion, conclusion, confusion, contusion, delusion, diffusion, effusion, exclusion, extrusion, fusion, illusion, inclusion, interfusion, intrusion, obtrusion, occlusion, preclusion, profusion, prolusion, protrusion, reclusion, seclusion, suffusion, transfusion
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan