1The oval nutlike seed (kernel) of the almond tree, growing in a woody shell, widely used as food: [as modifier]: almond cookies
More example sentences
- Crunchy goodies such as peanuts, almonds and sunflower seeds are packed with amino acids.
- Well, I will be talking about the wonder of nuts, and actually four nuts in particular - the chestnut, almond, walnut and pecan.
- Hazelnuts, both in the dough and praline, can be substituted with other nuts such as almonds, walnuts or pecans.
2 (also almond tree) The tree that produces almonds, belonging to the rose family and related to the peach and plum. Native to western Asia, it is widely cultivated in warm climates.
- Prunus dulcis or P. amygdalus, family Rosaceae
- The nut borne by the beautiful almond tree, Prunus amygdalus, is delicately flavoured and highly versatile, has been cultivated since prehistoric times, and is the most important nut in commerce.
- The two-storey white stucco lodge with yellow trim and shaded by a beautiful almond tree is situated a good bonefish cast from the warm waters of the Middle Bight, situated on the east coast of Andros island.
- Whether sipping rum in its bars, eating rotis on its waterfront or sitting under the big almond tree known as the ‘Houses of Parliament’ in Port Elizabeth, the hamlet-size main town, you feel part of the performance, not the audience.
Middle English: from Old French alemande, from medieval Latin amandula, from Greek amugdalē.
Words that rhyme with almondArmand
Definition of almond in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.