- The partial or complete absence of hair from areas of the body where it normally grows; baldness.More example sentences
- Minor toxic effects, such as stomatitis, malaise, nausea, diarrhea, headaches and mild alopecia, are common but respond to folate supplementation.
- Patients with trichotillomania usually present with poorly defined, irregularly shaped, or linear patches of partial alopecia, frequently on the scalp.
- While the discovery could lead to new treatments for baldness and conditions like alopecia, the researchers believe it may also help burn victims.
late Middle English: via Latin from Greek alōpekia, literally 'fox mange', from alōpēx 'fox'.
More definitions of alopeciaDefinition of alopecia in:
- The British & World English dictionary