1A high mountain, especially a snowcapped one.
- Suddenly a brilliant glow filled the night, illuminating the snow-capped alps in the distance.
- For winter sports enthusiasts, the southern and northern Japanese alps and the mountains of Hokkaido are home to some of the very best powder snow in the world.
- The late renaissance had little experience of pack-ice and polar seas, but they did have plenty of glaciers in the alps.
1.1(In Switzerland) an area of green pasture on a mountainside.
- Areas of the alps still show signs of environmental damage wrought by decades of cattle grazing, even though grazing stopped more than 60 years ago.
- The steep grass of the alp scoured my knees and slapped my cheeks.
- Partly, this is the setting - nestled on the shores of a number of lakes at the southernmost tip of Switzerland, surrounded by the craggy beauty of the alps.
Late Middle English: singular of Alps.
Words that rhyme with alpscalp
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of alp in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.