Definition of alp in English:
1A high mountain, especially a snowcapped one.
- Suddenly a brilliant glow filled the night, illuminating the snow-capped alps in the distance.
- For winter sports enthusiasts, the southern and northern Japanese alps and the mountains of Hokkaido are home to some of the very best powder snow in the world.
- The late renaissance had little experience of pack-ice and polar seas, but they did have plenty of glaciers in the alps.
1.1(In Switzerland) an area of green pasture on a mountainside.
- Areas of the alps still show signs of environmental damage wrought by decades of cattle grazing, even though grazing stopped more than 60 years ago.
- The steep grass of the alp scoured my knees and slapped my cheeks.
- Partly, this is the setting - nestled on the shores of a number of lakes at the southernmost tip of Switzerland, surrounded by the craggy beauty of the alps.
Late Middle English: singular of Alps.
Words that rhyme with alpscalp
Definition of alp in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan