(also alphorn /ˈalpˌhôrn/)
- A valveless wooden horn up to 12 feet (4 m) long, used for signaling in the Alps.More example sentences
- The quartet's instrumental line-up - bass, piano and Arkady Shilkloper on horn, flugel, alphorn and alperidoo - means that we're a long way from Billie Holiday.
- Dr. Hans brought up the fact that although the alphorns were still made in Switzerland from traditional pinewood, the strapping around the length of the horn was these days made from Thai bamboo.
- Rollerbladers, red flames shooting from their helmets, sped across a stage while alpine cows danced and men in lederhosen played alpenhorns.
late 19th century: from German, literally 'Alp horn'.
More definitions of alpenhornDefinition of alpenhorn in:
- The British & World English dictionary