- 1 (also altazimuth mount or mounting) Astronomy A telescope mounting that moves in azimuth (about a vertical axis) and in altitude (about a horizontal axis). Compare with equatorial mount.More example sentences
- The Dobsonian design is the most popular type of altazimuth mounting used on astronomical telescopes.
- Scopes with altazimuth mounts are easy to set up and use, and require no special expertise to use properly.
- Even with this disadvantage, the altazimuth mounting will be the primary mounting for very large telescopes to be constructed in the future.
- 1.1 (also altazimuth telescope) A telescope on an altazimuth mounting.More example sentences
- Of course, everything below about 80 degrees altitude was very easy to find; all altazimuth telescopes have this quirk.
- A lot of my variables are near bright stars or distinctive star patterns; thus easy to find with my noncomputerized altazimuth telescope or binoculars.
- All are fully-steerable altazimuth telescopes capable of pointing and tracking over zenith angles from 1 to 60 degrees.
- 2A surveying instrument for measuring vertical and horizontal angles, resembling a theodolite but larger and more precise.More example sentences
- This is an altazimuth theodolite of an improved pattern now used on the Ordnance Survey.
More definitions of altazimuthDefinition of altazimuth in:
- The British & World English dictionary