- In its upper reaches, climbers are at heights equal to the cruising altitudes for passenger jets.
- Therefore, the airplane may not be controllable at lower altitudes and airspeeds.
- Air at very high altitude smells completely different to lower altitudes.
- The material soaks up water that freezes at altitude and can cause delamination that may not be readily visible.
- Both nations have struggled in recent years while playing at altitude, where the thin air hands an advantage to those acclimatised to the conditions.
- Most people dont sleep well at altitude.
- A scale along the staff showed the altitude, or angle above the horizon, of the body.
- Also, on any given day the Sun circles the sky at the same apparent altitude.
- Like other nautical instruments its primary function was to measure the altitude of the sun or a star above the horizon.
- Let y be the altitude of the triangular cross section of the wedge in Figure 6a cut by a plane at distance x from the base.
- This is a good deal like having a theory that tells us that the area of a plane figure is one-half the base times the altitude, without telling us for what figures this holds.
- Example sentences
- Eastern birds may migrate south, but western populations are more often altitudinal migrants, moving from the mountains into nearby lowlands in winter.
- However, they commonly make altitudinal movements as seasons change and in dry seasons they may move beyond their normal range in search of food.
- Most species are sedentary, although some make nomadic wanderings and altitudinal shifts in response to food availability.
Late Middle English: from Latin altitudo, from altus 'high'.
Altitude is from Latin altitudo, from altus ‘high’. The latter is also the source of altar (Old English), a raised structure for worship, enhance (Middle English), originally ‘make higher’; exalt (Late Middle English), with ex- ‘out, upwards’; and haughty (mid 16th century), from altus via French haut.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.