- A nursemaid or maid in East Asia or India.More example sentences
- She had been a perfect amah and servant since her employment there began only a few years before.
- These women have been called the first generation of feminists in modern China, and they worked as amahs in Hong Kong, Macau and Singapore.
- I think of telling him that I would divorce the wife, send the kids to an orphanage, fire the amah, sell the apartment, and rent a flat in Sheung Wan.
from Portuguese ama 'nurse'.
More definitions of amahDefinition of amah in:
- The British & World English dictionary