the river bore various names after its discovery in 1500 and was finally called Amazon after a legendary tribe of female warriors believed to live on its banks.
- Example sentences
- It will provide a basis for further research on Amazonian languages.
- After two terms as United States president, Theodore Roosevelt braved disease and treacherous waters to explore an Amazonian tributary.
- From the city, scores of operators run day trips and longer boat tours for visitors wishing to experience Amazonian flora and fauna.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
- Perhaps the most widely known of legendary women warriors are the Greek Amazons and the Nordic Valkyries.
- The ancient Herodotus thought the Amazons did exist, but were extinct by the time that he lived.
- The first theme relates to the Christian iconography of Charity, and the eighteenth-century cult of Nature, as we shall see; the second to classical mythology about virgin goddesses and warrior Amazons.
- He's a small man - four feet tall, I'd say - with an Amazon for a wife.
- Contrary to the myth that older women don't play sports, these Amazons all happen to be over 30.
- They are gorgeous, sexy, and tough as nails - amazons with attitude.
- Genus Amazona, family Psittacidae: numerous species
- More than other parrot species, Amazons are well known for their strong or often moody characters.
- A very high proportion of Amazon parrots are threatened with extinction because of their slow rate of reproduction.
- Vocally they are distinct from other parrots although any Amazon in a mixed collection may mimic other sounds.
late Middle English: via Latin from Greek Amazōn, explained by the Greeks as 'without a breast' (as if from a- 'without' + mazos 'breast'), referring to the fable that the Amazons cut off the right breast so as not to interfere with the use of a bow, but probably a popular etymology of an unknown foreign word.
- Example sentences
- The Amazonian volleyball player Gabrielle Reece put the sports bikini (in which the top is similar to a jogging bra) on the map.
- ‘That was a big mistake,’ she admits, crossing her Amazonian legs in her suite at the Hôtel de Crillon in Paris.
- She has performed at clubs and festivals all over Australia to wide acclaim, and her extraordinary aptitude for words and Amazonian like appearance make her a formidable and extremely engaging presence on stage.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.