Definition of amazon ant in English:
A small reddish ant that captures the pupae of other ant colonies to raise as slaves.
- Genus Polyergus, family Formicidae
- The index lists amazon ants but not Amazons.
- Some ants, such as the Amazon Ants, are incapable of feeding themselves.
- After forays against other ants amazon ants bring back unconsumed brood to serve as slaves as soon as they have matured.
Definition of amazon ant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan