Definition of amazon ant in English:
A small reddish ant that captures the pupae of other ant colonies to raise as slaves.
- Genus Polyergus, family Formicidae
- The index lists amazon ants but not Amazons.
- Some ants, such as the Amazon Ants, are incapable of feeding themselves.
- After forays against other ants amazon ants bring back unconsumed brood to serve as slaves as soon as they have matured.
Definition of amazon ant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.