Definition of amber in English:
- Unfortunately, dinosaurs almost never get trapped in tree amber.
- Whether buying the spiced local gingerbread or scouting for the region's best amber, it's hard to resist picking something up.
- The 130-million-year-old spider silk was found in fossilized amber from Lebanon.
- These letters come in three colours - green, amber and red.
- Even at this time of the year, the very beginning of summer, it sprawls dry, thorny and desiccated, in shades of tan, amber, and a hundred browns.
- Furniture includes chairs and couches upholstered in amber, magenta, and burgundy.
- He warned that cyclists ran the same risk of being stopped as drivers for going through reds or late ambers.
- The signal, a red, green or amber light to direct traffic to stop, proceed with caution or go, revolutionized traffic control.
- The signal lights blinking only amber meant that one hapless policeman made a valiant effort to control traffic which seemed to swamp him from all directions.
adjectiveBack to top
- Expertly cut, and polished to perfection, these highly translucent amber beads are beautiful glistening gold gems.
- All of these solutions are reusable and keep well, but store them in well-sealed amber glass bottles.
- The island's amber fossil record may also help turn up previously unknown species still living today, Penney said.
- It should come out a clear dark amber colour and have a lovely flavour.
- Behind them, Sebastian's bright amber eyes lost their hard edge and instead he only looked resigned.
- Two yellowish amber eyes and a shock of long white hair grinned up at her and Pandora laughed.
Amber comes from Arabic ‘anbar, which also meant ‘ambergris’ a wax-like substance used in the manufacture of perfume that originates as a secretion of the sperm whale. See also electricity. Much more appealing is amber nectar, which was popularized as an advertising slogan for Fosters lager from 1986. It goes back much further than that, though, and has been a slang term for beer since the 1890s, especially in Australia.
Words that rhyme with ambercamber, caramba, clamber, Cochabamba, gamba, mamba, Maramba, samba, timbre
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.