- Of or relating to the immediate surroundings of something: the liquid is stored at below ambient temperatureMore example sentences
- Will operation in environments with significantly higher ambient temperatures cause a pump malfunction?
- One of the primary differences in these two environments is the average ambient temperature, both in the day and night.
- The hatchlings normally emerge after a period of about 45-55 days depending upon the ambient sand temperature and climatic conditions.
noun(also ambient music) Back to top
- A style of instrumental music with electronic textures and no persistent beat, used to create or enhance a mood or atmosphere.More example sentences
- Unnamed track number two opens upon friendlier environs, its ambient swells of keyboards almost deciding upon a melody or two.
- The rest of us - content merely with good ambient music overflowing with ideas - should be overjoyed by the entire album.
- There's a fine line between captivating ambient music and anecdotal videogame soundtracks.
late 16th century: from French ambiant or Latin ambient- 'going around', from ambire.
More definitions of ambientDefinition of ambient in:
- The British & World English dictionary