Definition of ambrosia in English:
nounGreek & Roman Mythology
1The food of the gods.
- So they have a special drink called nectar, and they eat food which is ambrosia, which is immortal.
- Athena strengthens Achilles by planting ambrosia and honey in his chest.
- Then my feet no longer rest on earth, but standing by Zeus himself I take my fill of ambrosia, the divine dish.
1.1Something very pleasing to taste or smell: the tea was ambrosia after the slop I’d been drinking
More example sentences
- The result is like ambrosia, pleasing in colour, form, smell, and taste.
- What was left was as a good a piece of beef as I have ever cooked or tasted - ambrosia for the meat-eating gods.
- Sometimes when inspiration hits, you create something that just tastes like ambrosia.
1.2A fungal product used as food by ambrosia beetles.
- It is one of more than 300 species of wood-boring ambrosia beetles which distribute the spores of ambrosia fungi.
- This damage is associated with ambrosia fungi that cause wood rot and death of the tree.
- The ambrosia fungus appears as the black lining of the gallery.
1.4A dessert made with oranges and shredded coconut.
- Eloise had brought, of all things, ambrosia; Rowena had lost her taste for this dish years ago but Leslie Campbell loaded up his plate - and made sure Eloise saw him do it.
- We frequently had Ambrosia for dessert at lunch time, at dinner time and sometimes at breakfast time with a dollop of raspberry or strawberry jam.
- It's one of those dishes that's just crying out for some mandarin chicken salad and a scoop of ambrosia.
- Example sentences
- A pity, because the beautifully poached damsons, greengages and plums which accompanied them were ambrosial enough to serve on their own.
- These berries, each no bigger than the tip of your little finger, have an intensely concentrated flavor I can describe only as ambrosial - reminiscent of strawberries, roses, and pineapples.
- But when I pop one into my mouth, it is ambrosial.
Definition of ambrosia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan