Definition of ammonia in English:
1A colorless gas with a characteristic pungent smell. It dissolves in water to give a strongly alkaline solution.
- He isolated around twenty different airs, including hydrogen chloride, nitric oxide, and ammonia.
- In the Solvay process, carbon dioxide and ammonia are passed into a concentrated solution of sodium chloride.
- When ammonia is reacted with nitric acid, ammonium nitrate is produced.
1.1A solution of ammonia used as a cleaning fluid.
- And I'll remember to stock up on ammonia to clean the eggs off my door the next day when I do
- Make a mixture of detergent and ammonia for cleaning the walls.
- The fluid smelt of ammonia and the victim was taken to hospital with stinging eyes after his attacker fled.
Definition of ammonia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan