- 1A colorless gas with a characteristic pungent smell. It dissolves in water to give a strongly alkaline solution.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: NH3
- He isolated around twenty different airs, including hydrogen chloride, nitric oxide, and ammonia.
- In the Solvay process, carbon dioxide and ammonia are passed into a concentrated solution of sodium chloride.
- When ammonia is reacted with nitric acid, ammonium nitrate is produced.
- 1.1A solution of ammonia used as a cleaning fluid.More example sentences
- And I'll remember to stock up on ammonia to clean the eggs off my door the next day when I do
- Make a mixture of detergent and ammonia for cleaning the walls.
- The fluid smelt of ammonia and the victim was taken to hospital with stinging eyes after his attacker fled.
late 18th century: modern Latin, from sal ammoniacus (see sal ammoniac).
More definitions of ammoniaDefinition of ammonia in:
- The British & World English dictionary