- A white crystalline solid used as a fertilizer and as a component of some explosives.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: NH4NO3
- In that investigation detectives arrested eight suspects across southern England and seized half a ton of ammonium nitrate, a chemical fertiliser used in many bomb attacks.
- Therefore, ammonium nitrate is the preferred nitrogen fertilizer for topdressing where incorporation is impossible.
- One popular explosive for industrial use is made from fertilizers like ammonium nitrate or urea, fuel oil, and nitric or sulfuric acid.
More definitions of ammonium nitrateDefinition of ammonium nitrate in:
- The British & World English dictionary