noun (plural amoretti /-ˈretē/)
- A representation of Cupid in a work of art.More example sentences
- The shameless cocotte Venus, wheedling her husband Vulcan for armour for Aeneas, her son by Anchises, disrobes aided by a passing amoretto and Vulcan himself in Vulcan and Venus.
- With curious looks a pair of tiny-winged amoretti press back the overspill of grapes from the basket they have brought Erigone.
- In it Venus appears seated on a couch, with her lower limbs covered and her left hand upon her breast, looking into a mirror held up by an amoretto, while another amoretto is reaching up to crown her with a wreath of flowers.
late 17th century (denoting a lover or a love song): Italian, diminutive of amore 'love', from Latin amor.
More definitions of amorettoDefinition of amoretto in:
- The British & World English dictionary