Definition of amortize in English:
1Reduce or extinguish (a debt) by money regularly put aside: loan fees can be amortized over the life of the mortgage
More example sentences
- In the short run, it is made to appear sustainable in some degree by inflation, which causes a country to amortize its debts via interest rates.
- The Church was also instrumental in dealing with the financial crisis when the Constituent Assembly nationalized church property (approximately 10 per cent of French land), to be sold as a way of amortizing the state debt.
- If any licensing is done in a particular financial year, the fees are amortised over the lifetime of the collaboration.
1.1Gradually write off the initial cost of (an asset): they want to amortize the tooling costs quickly
More example sentences
- The audited financial statements from the two independent branches were received, but Bill failed to notice that they hadn't amortized capital assets, as was by then required under the funding agency's policies.
- In contrast, he argues, purchase accounting is more appropriate, because an acquirer must write up the assets it buys and amortize for a period of not more than 20 years the premium it pays in excess of the target's book value.
- A newer trailer allows you to amortize the initial cost over more years and maximize the benefits of the features you request.
- Example sentences
- In the five months through May 31, it earned $16.8 million before interest, taxes, depreciation, amortization, and restructuring charges.
- Its earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization in 2000 were 37.5 billion yuan, 74% higher than the 1999 figure.
- Its stock, trading at just two to three times earnings before, interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization, was low, even for the down-trodden auto-parts industry.
Pronunciation: /ˌamərtiˈzāSHən/ /əˌmôrti-/noun
Definition of amortize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan