- A unit of electric current equal to a flow of one coulomb per second.
More example sentences
- The SI base unit of electric current, 1 ampere is precisely defined as that constant current which, if maintained in two straight parallel conductors of infinite length, of negligible circular cross-section, and placed 1 meter apart in a vacuum, would produce between these conductors a force of 2 × 107 newton per meter
- There is a procedure to do that with minor power lines - that is, those of less than 100 megavolt amperes and 110 kilovolts.
- The energising coils, through which several hundred amperes of current flows, remains at minus 269 degrees centigrade with the help of about 300 litres of liquid helium in a special vessel called cryostat.
- Low conductivity usually indicates a small current flow, but when the total conductivity is calculated over the whole Earth's surface the atmospheric conductivity is quite large, and an appreciable current of about 2000 amperes flows.
late 19th century: named after A. M. Ampère (see Ampère, André-Marie).
More definitions of ampereDefinition of ampere in:
- The British & World English dictionary