Definition of amphetamine in English:
A synthetic, addictive, mood-altering drug, used illegally as a stimulant and legally as a prescription drug to treat children with ADD and adults with narcolepsy.
- Alternative name: 1-phenyl-2-aminopropane (or one of its salts, especially amphetamine sulfate); chemical formula: C6H5CH2CH(CH3)NH2
- Ritalin is a stimulant whose effects are similar to those of amphetamine, methamphetamine and cocaine.
- Scientists don't know much about how drugs like amphetamine and Prozac interact in young children.
- The stimulant drugs are based on amphetamine and carry a risk of sudden death from fatal heart rhythms.
1930s: abbreviation of its chemical name, a(lpha-)m(ethyl) phe(ne)t(hyl)amine.
Words that rhyme with amphetaminedopamine • histamine
Definition of amphetamine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.