Definition of amphibology in English:
noun (plural amphibologies)
A phrase or sentence that is grammatically ambiguous, such as she sees more of her children than her husband.
- What is perhaps most revealing about his text is its composite character, as it enacts what Browne might have called the ‘amphibologies,’ the ambiguous frames of mind of which micrography is the theater.
- I think deliberate amphibologies are used in drafting to get to agreement more than we might like to think.
- I introduce a general method, the amphibologization method, to generate amphibologies in pre-existent logical calculi.
- Example sentences
- Demonstrating remarkable figurai acumen, his amphibolous ‘its’ is a delicious example of the conflation that enables the slippage between agent and agency.
- An amphibolous sentence permits a double interpretation, one view of which may be true and the other false.
- No discussion of amphibolgy would be complete without a few gems from the most amphibolous president in US history.
Words that rhyme with amphibologyaetiology (US etiology), andrology, anthology,
Definition of amphibology in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan