A lancelet that is caught for food in parts of Asia.
- Genus Branchiostoma (formerly Amphioxus), family Branchiostomidae
More example sentences
- Thus amphioxus is the only chordate species in which distinct insulin and IGF genes have not been found.
- Organisms along the lines of the cephalochordate amphioxus use the gill apparatus for filter feeding.
- The cephalochordate amphioxus is the closest living invertebrate relative of the vertebrates and therefore the best model organism for understanding the composition of the ancestral chordate genome.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, from amphi- + Greek oxus 'sharp'.
Definition of amphioxus in:
- The British & World English dictionary