Definition of amphioxus in English:
A lancelet that is caught for food in parts of Asia.
- Genus Branchiostoma (formerly Amphioxus), family Branchiostomidae
- Thus amphioxus is the only chordate species in which distinct insulin and IGF genes have not been found.
- Organisms along the lines of the cephalochordate amphioxus use the gill apparatus for filter feeding.
- The cephalochordate amphioxus is the closest living invertebrate relative of the vertebrates and therefore the best model organism for understanding the composition of the ancestral chordate genome.
Definition of amphioxus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan