- A fully aquatic eellike amphibian with very small limbs, found in stagnant water and swamps in the southeastern US.
More example sentences
- Family Amphiumidae and genus Amphiuma: three species (identified by the number of toes on each limb), the one-toed A. pholeter, the two-toed A. means, and the three-toed A. tridactylum
- Unlike sirens, amphiumas retain both pairs of girdles and limbs, though both are reduced in size, and the limbs are often both difficult to discern and of decreased function in adults.
- If handled roughly, the amphiuma will become aggressive and provide the aggressor with a painful bite.
- Female amphiumas come to land to nest and lay their eggs, usually under a log near the water's edge.
More definitions of amphiumaDefinition of amphiuma in:
- The British & World English dictionary