Definition of amplifier in English:
1An electronic device for increasing the amplitude of electrical signals, used chiefly in sound reproduction.
- This makes it suitable for audio applications, including audio amplifiers and preamplifiers, home entertainment system, mixing desks and audio recording equipment.
- Hearing aids are electronic devices made up of a microphone, an amplifier, a loudspeaker and a battery.
- The apparatus includes two visual indicators, two amplifiers, and a logic circuit.
1.1A device consisting of an amplifier combined with a loudspeaker, used to amplify electric guitars and other musical instruments.
- With the drum cracks, cymbal hits, and nearby guitar and bass amplifiers, my musical career a decade ago was sort of like working in a rifle range.
- Sometimes the surround sound processor and the amplifier are combined into a surround sound receiver, to save you a little bit of money.
- Ty plugged his electric guitar into the amplifier on the stage.
Words that rhyme with amplifiermodifier • codifier
Definition of amplifier in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan