- A colorless synthetic liquid used as an additive in diesel fuel to improve its ignition properties.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: C5H11NO3
- I was absolutely hooked - quite possibly something to do with the smell of ether and amyl nitrate in the fuel.
- I even used to make my own fuel, the contents of which contained wonderfully volatile components such as amyl nitrate and ether.
- When I looked down and breathed in it was the unmistakeable smell of amyl nitrate reaching my nostrils.
Amyl nitrate and amyl nitrite are quite distinct substances, but amyl nitrate is often mistakenly used to refer to the street drug (inhaled and used as a stimulant and vasodilator), which is correctly called amyl nitrite.
More definitions of amyl nitrateDefinition of amyl nitrate in:
- The British & World English dictionary