Definition of an accident waiting to happen in English:
1A potentially disastrous situation, typically caused by negligent or faulty procedures.
- The situation was an accident waiting to happen.
- The situation is an accident waiting to happen and there are already frequent prangs and bumps around the junction.
- You would think anyone would immediately recognize the situation as an accident waiting to happen.
2A person certain to cause trouble.
- Idiots like this are an accident waiting to happen and, unfortunately, these accidents rarely affect just the drivers concerned.
- You have been an accident waiting to happen and have placed many of your fellow citizens in grave danger.
- Johnson was an accident waiting to happen and the big central defender, Robert Huth, who suffered at right-back against Bayern Munich, switched to the left where he looked even more uncomfortable and uncertain.
Definition of an accident waiting to happen in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.