Definition of anabiosis in English:
A temporary state of suspended animation or greatly reduced metabolism.
- CAM also occurs in some resurrection plants that are desiccation-tolerant and can shift between biosis and anabiosis as they dry out and are rewatered, respectively.
- His photographs show that during anabiosis membranes contract in intricate folds within the shrunken cell.
- He said three types of life forms are found in permafrost: active ones that eke out a living, forms in suspended anabiosis until things get better, and the ones that simply gave up and died.
- Example sentences
- We put hearts, blood and semen of the lab animals into an anabiotic capsule designed and built by our team.
- Evidence suggests that glacial ice cannot support bacterial growth but rather traps these organisms for considerable lengths of time in an anabiotic state.
- When anabiotic, tardigrades look like they are dead - they don't move, don't breathe and their metabolism is undetectable.
Late 19th century: from Greek anabiōsis, from anabioein 'return to life'.
Definition of anabiosis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.