- (Of a fish, such as the salmon) migrating up rivers from the sea to spawn. The opposite of catadromous.More example sentences
- Pacific salmon are anadromous (sea-run) fish that migrate from freshwater to the ocean and then back to freshwater to spawn.
- Unlike lampreys, salmon, and other anadromous fish, which migrate from the ocean to fresh water to breed, eels head in the opposite direction.
- Chinook Salmon are anadromous, making great migrations out to the deepest parts of the ocean and returning as mature adults to their natal streams.
mid 18th century: from Greek anadromos (from ana- 'up' + dromos 'running') + -ous.
More definitions of anadromousDefinition of anadromous in:
- The British & World English dictionary