Definition of analog in English:
1A person or thing seen as comparable to another: the idea that the fertilized egg contains a miniature analog of every adult structure
More example sentences
- The theater photographs can be read as an analogue for both the interior of a still camera and the womb.
- Murphy can use other preindustrial crafts (hunting, sailing, animal husbandry) as subjects and analogues for similarly well-made poems.
- Each makes perfect sense when seen in isolation, but will nevertheless benefit from being viewed alongside its analogues, since detailed comparisons will then become possible.
1.1 Chemistry A compound with a molecular structure closely similar to that of another.
- This produces the aldehyde analogue, methanal (acetaldehyde).
- The presence of this molecule or closely related analogues induces the production of the purple pigment violacein.
- Using synthetic analogs of lerisetron as molecular probes in combination with site directed mutagenesis, we have identified some of these interactions and have proposed a model of the lerisetron binding site.
adjectiveBack to top
1Relating to or using signals or information represented by a continuously variable physical quantity such as spatial position or voltage. Often contrasted with digital (sense 1).
- Boxes are required to translate the digital binary code back to analog signals for viewing.
- The CODEC then converts the digital FM audio signal into an analog waveform for conversion to sound.
- For example, analogue computers represent physical quantities using ‘continuously varying’ voltages.
1.1(Of a clock or watch) showing the time by means of hands rather than displayed digits.
- Now I watch the second hand on my analog clock swoop around with the tiniest of pauses, and I wonder how it will look after another thirty years goes by.
- Apart from the dubious analogue stopwatch that blights the top of the dashboard, the SCP includes a fortified ECU map that allows 10 seconds of over-boost on full throttle.
- This was the famous Philips 1500 model, made in Austria, with the piano key controls, analogue clock and top loading.
Words that rhyme with analoganalogue (US analog)
Definition of analog in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.