- A female anchorite.More example sentences
- As a priest performed the ceremonies of the burial office, Julian took up residence as an anchoress in a small apartment attached to the church.
- The author opens her new introduction to this edition with an intriguing question: ‘What does it mean to be an anchoress in postmodernity?’
- Two children dealing with their mother's disappearance (and father's attempts to remarry) encounter an anchoress who reveals the truth of their family's past.
More definitions of anchoressDefinition of anchoress in:
- The British & World English dictionary