Definition of anchovy in English:
noun (plural anchovy)
A small shoaling fish of commercial importance as a food fish and as bait. It is strongly flavored and is usually preserved in salt and oil.
- Genus Engraulis, family Engraulidae: several species, including E. encrasicolus of European waters
- Barracuda eat squid and small fish such as sardines, anchovies, young mackerels and grunions.
- Adult halibut prefer a diet of small fish such as anchovies, sardines, and white croaker.
- Groups such as silversides, herrings and anchovies often congregate in feeding shoals numbering in the millions.
Words that rhyme with anchovyMuscovy • Pahlavi
Definition of anchovy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.