Definition of anchovy in English:
noun (plural anchovy)
A small shoaling fish of commercial importance as a food fish and as bait. It is strongly flavored and is usually preserved in salt and oil.
- Genus Engraulis, family Engraulidae: several species, including E. encrasicolus of European waters
- Barracuda eat squid and small fish such as sardines, anchovies, young mackerels and grunions.
- Adult halibut prefer a diet of small fish such as anchovies, sardines, and white croaker.
- Groups such as silversides, herrings and anchovies often congregate in feeding shoals numbering in the millions.
Definition of anchovy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India