1The history of the ancient civilizations of the Mediterranean area and the Near East up to the fall of the Western Roman Empire in ad 476.
- One Nation Underground revisits a fast-receding era of U.S. history that seems like ancient history to today's undergraduates.
- So I went to the uni and I did medieval history and renaissance history and ancient history.
- An archaeological museum in a cathedral annex on the west coast of Italy pays tribute to the rich and ancient history of the area.
1.1 informal Something that is already long familiar and no longer new, interesting, or relevant: the New Wave is ancient history now
More example sentences
- The answer to such contradictory share movements is that institutional investors consider the full-year results of any company to be ancient history as they already have a fair idea of what to expect before they are announced.
- I haven't paid very much attention to the deep throat revelations, because to me this is all ancient history - interesting, you know, but not important.
- The deal is done: it is already ancient history.
ancient historian noun
- Example sentences
- Aryans were not foreigners from the West, the view widely held by ancient historians, but India's native people.
- In many cases, the works of ancient historians who offered vital testimony had been lost.
- It has been described by many ancient historians as a place of prophesies almost as famous as the Delphic Oracle.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: an·cient his·to·ry
Definition of ancient history in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.