- A mineral of the garnet group, containing calcium and iron. It occurs as yellow, green, brown, or black crystals, sometimes of gem quality.More example sentences
- The skarns also contain hornblende, calcite, pyroxene, tremolite, pyrrhotite, molybdenite, galena, chalcopyrite, arsenopyrite, garnet (probably andradite or grossular), and pyrite.
- The crystals have a typical pseudo-octahedral habit, often with composite crystal faces, and are typically associated with red andradite, hematite, calcite, gaudefroyite, barite. kutnohorite, celestine, or even sturmanite.
- The third major find in recent years is green andradite, some of which may be considered demantoid.
mid 19th century: named after J. B. de Andrada e Silva (circa1763–1838), Brazilian geologist, + -ite1.
More definitions of andraditeDefinition of andradite in:
- The British & World English dictionary