Definition of androcracy in English:
noun (plural androcracies)
A social system ruled or dominated by men.
- Status and privilege (such as polygyny, androcracy, preferential access to food and luxuries) of the religious elite and their ability to maintain power, were based to some extent on deception.
- We considered terms for these and Lloyd came up with the gynarchy and the androcracy, respectively.
- This transition will not be easy as the forces of the androcracy are, and will continue, fighting back.
- Example sentences
- The enforcement of androcratic rule has constrained our spiritual as well as our cultural development.
- Hyde hides what androcratic society will not countenance: sexuality celebrated and inscribed by a woman.
- According to Eisler, the partnership model has existed in some prehistoric societies until it got swept by androcratic and patriarchal societies.
Definition of androcracy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan