A male sex hormone, such as testosterone.
- Male steroid sex hormones, androgens, are produced in the testes.
- This means that it interferes with some of the actions of androgens (male sex hormones) within the body.
- Thus, fasciculata and reticularis cells can make corticosteroids and the adrenal androgens, but not aldosterone.
- Example sentences
- One of the earliest examples of a synthesized and enhanced steroid was the androgenic steroids called androgenic anabolic steroids, which are more potent than testosterone.
- Drugs commonly referred to as ‘steroids’ are classified as anabolic, androgenic, and corticosteroids.
- Of course, exercise and weight-training are the natural routes to achieve this, but it can be achieved more easily, albeit at greater risk to health and reputation, by injecting anabolic androgenic steroids (AASs).
1930s: from Greek anēr, andr- 'man' + -gen.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of androgen in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.