Definition of androgynous in English:
1Partly male and partly female in appearance; of indeterminate sex.
- It was confirmed that the gender of Casey was indeed male, despite his androgynous and ever-youthful appearance.
- I looked around trying to catch a familiar face, finding them totally anonymous, androgynous, male and female blurring in the shadows.
- In my experience, opening up more androgynous views of males and females in the role of rescuer with young adults can enhance future discussion on this topic.
1.1 dated Having the physical characteristics of both sexes; hermaphrodite.
- They altogether seemed an androgynous and physically challenged group.
- That is, the alien becomes an androgynous, transsexual reflection of the individual who perceives/imagines it.
- All were completely identical; tall, lightly built, completely androgynous and holding a harvesting scythe in both hands.
- Example sentences
- He stands 6'5" and is androgynously thin.
- Universally dark-haired, skinny and androgynously pretty, The Organ look at first sight like a female Strokes.
- She appears onstage with short hair, dressed androgynously in pants and a loose shirt.
- Example sentences
- What's wrong with a little - or a lot of - androgyny anyway?
- If androgyny proved unattainable in a small socialist society whose citizens self-selected for radical feminist convictions, how could one bring it about in contemporary America, where most people don't want it?
- The Melbourne Writers Centre is dominated by women who will only tolerate strangely docile feminised men, who build towards an androgyny and collaborate in a general ‘dumbing down’ of the male.
Words that rhyme with androgynousautogenous, endogenous, erogenous, exogenous, homogenous, hydrogenous, misogynous
Definition of androgynous in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.