Definition of anergy in English:
1 Medicine Absence of the normal immune response to a particular antigen or allergen.
- It is known that some persons with TB exhibit specific anergy to tuberculin but still respond to other antigens, possibly because available T-cell receptors are saturated and unable to react to the administered tuberculin antigen.
- This type of antigen presentation results in tolerance via T-cell anergy.
- As suggested by Ferrara and colleagues, a low mitogen response may possibly reflect underlying anergy or inability of the cellular immune system to effectively mount a T-cell response.
- Example sentences
- Among TB patients with HIV infection, up to 40 per cent could be anergic.
- Seven patients were PPD negative, one of whom was anergic.
- Among these anergic patients, the 6-month mortality rate was 48%, compared with 13% for immunocompetent patients.
Definition of anergy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan