(also ångström, angstrom unit
, abbreviation: Å)
- A unit of length equal to one hundred-millionth of a centimeter, 10-10 meter, used mainly to express wavelengths and interatomic distances.More example sentences
- An angstrom, a unit of length measuring the wavelength of light, is about 500,000 times smaller than the thickness of a human hair.
- The Mg 2 + cations were initially positioned several angstroms from the solute.
- Since an angstrom is a tenth of a millionth of a metre, that's pretty small.
late 19th century: named after A. J. Ångström (see Ångström, Anders Jonas).
More definitions of angstromDefinition of angstrom in:
- The British & World English dictionary