Entry from British & World English dictionary
1 rare Shaped like or resembling an eel: a suitably anguilliform entrance
More example sentences
- The catfish family Clariidae comprises species in which the body shape ranges from fusiform to anguilliform.
- Axial movements in tadpoles are regulated by a diverse array of muscle activity in a manner similar to anguilliform fishes.
- The need to generate forward propulsion will rely on similar sequences of contractions of the myotomal muscles, as is the case for anguilliform swimming in other aquatic animals such as fish and lampreys.
1.1 Zoology Relating to a large order of fishes (Anguilliformes) that comprises the eels.
- These cytogenetic traits are mainly consistent with those recorded for anguilliform species in general.
- In several anguilliform species, the adductor mandibulae complex is extremely well developed, thereby bulging from the sides of the skull.
- The common Japanese conger is an anguilliform species that migrates for spawning.
Late 17th century: from Latin anguilla 'eel' + -iform.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: an¦guilli|form
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.