Definition of anhedral in English:
Crystallography (Of a crystal) having no plane faces.
- The pyroxenoid occurs as granular masses of small anhedral crystals associated with manganoan magnetite.
- Microcline is a common constituent of the intermediate zone, occurring as anhedral crystals to 60 cm.
- Here, olivine (peridot when gemmy) grains or anhedral crystals weather out of basaltic lava.
nounAeronautics Back to top
Downward inclination of an aircraft’s wing, or the angle of this. Compare with dihedral.
- Some gliders have large amounts of anhedral to improve their handling and with this power steering addition the amount of anhedral may be reduced, making the glider more stable to fly and not requiring constant control inputs.
- The five-bladed main rotor is fully composite, with a composite spar, multiple box structure and anhedral tipcaps.
- I've found that hang gliders exhibit a negative coupling between yaw and roll - for example a right yaw will create a left roll - presumably due to anhedral.
Words that rhyme with anhedralcathedral, dihedral, tetrahedral
Definition of anhedral in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.