Definition of anhydride in English:
1The compound obtained by removing the elements of water from a particular acid.
- Nonmetal oxides that form acidic solutions when dissolved in water are called acid anhydrides.
- Primary amides are prepared by reacting ammonia or amines with acid chlorides, anhydrides, or esters.
- The carboxyl group is fairly reactive, and carboxyl group-containing compounds can undergo nucleophilic substitution to form many useful derivatives such as acid chlorides, anhydrides, esters, and amides.
1.1 [usually with modifier] An organic compound containing the group —C(O)OC(O)—, derived from a carboxylic acid.
- The binding strength of FN toward the substrate was adjusted using a set of thin films of different alternating maleic anhydride copolymers containing comonomers with varied alkyl chain length.
- By that it was concluded that the used maleic anhydride copolymer thin films allow for a substrate-protein interaction in a controlled manner.
- The company's phthalic anhydride plant at Raichur, Karnataka and maleic anhydride plant at Taloja, Maharashtra operated satisfactorily during 2002-03.
Definition of anhydride in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan