Definition of ankylosaur in English:
A heavily built quadrupedal herbivorous dinosaur primarily of the Cretaceous period, armored with bony plates.
- The ankylosaurs were heavily armoured dinosaurs, 2 to 10 meters long, quadrupedal, slow moving, and fed on swampy soft vegetation.
- Skeletons range from twelve-foot remains of the armored dinosaurs known as ankylosaurs, with almost every piece of bony plate intact, to two-inch skeletons of early mammals, complete down to their fragile, microscopic ear bones.
- These were the fragmentary remains of an armored dinosaur, an ankylosaur.
- Example sentences
- Most recently, a new ankylosaur was named on the basis of an incomplete mandible and fragmentary cranial material, but the ankylosaurian affinities and validity of this taxon are doubtful.
- This is the first description of ostoederms and ankylosaurian material from Coahuila.
- Dr Barrett has been reviewing remains of ankylosaurian dinosaurs found around Trumpington, Haslingfield, Bottisham, Reach and Burwell.
Definition of ankylosaur in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan