(also ankylosaurus /ˌaNGkiləˈsôrəs/)
A heavily built quadrupedal herbivorous dinosaur primarily of the Cretaceous period, armored with bony plates.
- Infraorder Ankylosauria, order Ornithischia: several genera, in particular Ankylosaurus
- The ankylosaurs were heavily armoured dinosaurs, 2 to 10 meters long, quadrupedal, slow moving, and fed on swampy soft vegetation.
- Skeletons range from twelve-foot remains of the armored dinosaurs known as ankylosaurs, with almost every piece of bony plate intact, to two-inch skeletons of early mammals, complete down to their fragile, microscopic ear bones.
- These were the fragmentary remains of an armored dinosaur, an ankylosaur.
- Example sentences
- Most recently, a new ankylosaur was named on the basis of an incomplete mandible and fragmentary cranial material, but the ankylosaurian affinities and validity of this taxon are doubtful.
- This is the first description of ostoederms and ankylosaurian material from Coahuila.
- Dr Barrett has been reviewing remains of ankylosaurian dinosaurs found around Trumpington, Haslingfield, Bottisham, Reach and Burwell.
Early 20th century: from modern Latin Ankylosaurus, from Greek ankulos (see ankylosis) + sauros 'lizard'.
Definition of ankylosaur in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.