A segmented worm of the phylum Annelida, such as an earthworm or leech.
- Most biologists are familiar with only a few of the approximately 40 extant animal phyla such as annelids, arthropods, molluscs, echinoderms and chordates.
- The position and composition of these cells suggests that they are homologous to the gliointerstitial cell system of molluscs, sipunculans, annelids echiurans.
- After examining the opening of these traces, it is tempting to assign their origin to the behavior of vermiform borers such as annelids, sipunculids, or phoronids.
Relating to or denoting annelids.
- These differences in expression domains indicate changes in the regulation of these genes somewhere in the annelid lineage.
- It is clear that two different hydrophobic motifs are conserved in annelid species.
- If reptiles could develop into birds then annelid worms could develop into insects.
noun & adjective
- Example sentences
- One widely-mooted suggestion is that planktotrophic larvae, typified by the annelidan trochophore and echinoid pluteus, existed long before the metazoan radiations evident in the Cambrian fossil record.
- At first glance, the animals in the annelidan and molluskan groups look like they have little in common.
- The high degree of diversity of the annelidan nervous system may seem to weaken the power of the ropeladder-like nervous system to act as an apomorphic characteristic for a taxon comprising Annelida and Arthropoda.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of annelid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.