noun (plural anniversaries)
- 1The date on which an event took place in a previous year: the 50th anniversary of the start of World War II [as modifier]: anniversary celebrationsMore example sentences
- In 2000, The New Yorker Festival was inaugurated to mark the magazine's seventy-fifth anniversary.
- Today is the anniversary of the seige of the Alamo.
- This year marks the 10th anniversary of his pro debut.
- 1.1The date on which a country or other institution was founded in a previous year: Canada’s 125th anniversaryMore example sentences
- Now JetBlue's offering a bonanza of deals, in honor of the airline's fifth anniversary.
- In fact, at the high school's anniversary next year, they were planning to have her as a keynote speaker.
- The college is currently in preparations for the 100th year anniversary of its opening in 1906.
- 1.2The date on which a couple was married in a previous year: he even forgot our tenth anniversary!More example sentences
- Who else can say they got divorced on the tenth anniversary of their wedding?
- No matter how old you are it is important not to forget your wedding anniversary as Pat Evans found out to his cost last week.
- A couple approaching their golden anniversary have thanked the Lord for 50 years of marital bliss.
- 1.3 • informal The date on which a romance began in a previous month or week.More example sentences
- It was only when she forgot about their one month anniversary that his true nature began to surface.
- One theme that crops up week after week are those who hit their 5 or 6 month anniversary.
- Things progressed in this same manner, until about a week after our 3 month anniversary.
Middle English: from Latin anniversarius 'returning yearly', from annus 'year' + versus 'turning'.