noun (plural anniversaries)
- The celebrations marking the 60th anniversary of the event have been unprecedented in scope.
- Postage stamps are often issued to commemorate the anniversary of an important event.
- This month marks the 70th anniversary of the opening of the first drive-in theater.
- Now JetBlue's offering a bonanza of deals, in honor of the airline's fifth anniversary.
- In fact, at the high school's anniversary next year, they were planning to have her as a keynote speaker.
- The college is currently in preparations for the 100th year anniversary of its opening in 1906.
- Who else can say they got divorced on the tenth anniversary of their wedding?
- No matter how old you are it is important not to forget your wedding anniversary as Pat Evans found out to his cost last week.
- A couple approaching their golden anniversary have thanked the Lord for 50 years of marital bliss.
- It was only when she forgot about their one month anniversary that his true nature began to surface.
- One theme that crops up week after week are those who hit their 5 or 6 month anniversary.
- Things progressed in this same manner, until about a week after our 3 month anniversary.
Middle English: from Latin anniversarius 'returning yearly', from annus 'year' + versus 'turning'.
annual from Late Middle English:
This comes via Old French from late Latin annualis, based on Latin annus ‘year’. The notion of a ‘yearbook’ recording events of the past year, arose in the late 17th century. From the same word we get annals (mid 16th century) from Latin annales (libri) ‘yearly (books)’ giving a historical record of the events throughout each year; anniversary (Middle English) ‘returning yearly’; annuity (Late Middle English) something paid ‘yearly’; perennial (mid 17th century) ‘[lasting] through the year’; and the Latin phrases annus horribilis ‘year of disasters’ and annus mirabilis ‘wonderful year’.
Words that rhyme with anniversarybursary, cursory, mercery, nursery
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.