- 1Occurring once every year: the union’s annual conference the sponsored walk became an annual event an annual reportMore example sentences
yearly, once-a-year, every twelve months; year-end
- A tradition grew up around this annual event whereby once the cake was cut and the goodies all eaten it was time for ghost stories.
- This eagerly anticipated annual event once again drew the crowds and this time there was the added attraction of an extra race on the town centre circuit.
- The conference is the premier annual event in cardiology on the medical education calendar in the region.
- 1.1Calculated over or covering a period of a year: annual accounts an annual rate of increase his basic annual incomeMore example sentences
- Apple's calculated annual run rate of 130 million songs a year equates to $43.9m of revenue per annum.
- Under the new laws the band would have been required to pay full tax rates on annual incomes of more than €250,000.
- This legislation confirms the annual income tax rates for the 2003-04 year.
- 1.2(Of a plant) living for a year or less, perpetuating itself by seed: annual flowersMore example sentences
- Starting an annual flower garden from seed is one of the greatest joys of spring gardening.
- Create privacy screens by planting fast-growing annual vines up trellises around your patio.
- You've probably seen annual flowers planted in all sorts of odd containers, from discarded tires to old boots!
nounBack to top
- 1A book or magazine that is published once a year under the same title but with different contents: a Christmas annual trade journals, annuals, and directoriesMore example sentences
- The Children's Book Shelf stocks nothing but children's books, old annuals and comics.
- Timeform publishes such annuals as Racehorses and Chasers and Hurdlers, along with its weekly Black Book.
- One lot is a collection of children's annuals, including first editions of Enid Blyton books and an 1870 copy of John Bunyan's Choice Works.
- 1.1An annual plant: sow annuals in springMore example sentences
- Fall is a good time to plant cool-season annuals and vegetables, herbs, perennials and trees, too.
- Avoid fertilizing the annuals planted in the same bed until the bulbs have died back.
- These annuals are beautiful foliage plants becoming fashionable again.
late Middle English: from Old French annuel, from late Latin annualis, based on Latin annus 'year'.