Definition of anode in English:
1The positively charged electrode by which the electrons leave a device. The opposite of cathode.
- Meanwhile, copper atoms in the positive anode give up electrons and dissolve into the electrolyte solution as copper ions.
- Gaseous hydrogen and oxygen flow separately around either side of two electrolytic plates serving as anodes and cathodes.
- As soon as the circuit of the lead storage battery cell is closed and the cathode and anode are connected, the reaction begins and electrons flow from the anode to the cathode.
1.1The negatively charged electrode of a device supplying current such as a primary cell.
- The fuel cell also needs moisture in the electrolyte as well as water at the anode to control the supply of methanol.
- Current can only flow from the anode to the cathode, but not the other direction.
- The rods serve as negative electrodes, or anodes, and the tube serves as a positive electrode, or cathode.
mid 19th century: from Greek anodos 'way up', from ana 'up' + hodos 'way'.
- Example sentences
- After each hour, the current was interrupted, and the entire contents of anodal and cathodal chamber were withdrawn and replaced by fresh receiver solution.
- Cathodal and anodal shock electrodes (denoted as C and A) were located at fiber ends.
- Allozymes of an isozyme were designated as either fast or slow, with the most anodal designated as fast and the slower allozyme as slow.
- Example sentences
- Although the actual chemical reactions taking place within a battery are very complex, the major cathodic and anodic reactions can be idealized based on a knowledge of the parts of a battery and their electrochemical function.
- Such corrosion occurs when the heavy metal, the heavy metal basic salts or both plate out to form active cathodes on the anodic magnesium surface.
- Surface properties of titanium and its alloys can be modified by anodic oxidation treatment, which covers the entire surface with a thin but compact oxide film.
Pronunciation: /anˈōdl, āˈnōdl/adjective
Definition of anode in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan