Definition of anodyne in English:
Not likely to provoke dissent or offense; inoffensive, often deliberately so: anodyne New Age music I attempted to keep the conversation as anodyne as possible
More example sentences
- I just find their music very anodyne, its very ‘consistent’, it lacks variation and is very safe - and that's the problem for the film.
- At other moments - for all the Chorus's endeavours - the concert is let down by anodyne music and lyrics.
- The sound effects - such as the perfect hollow pop every time Sara takes her pills - work in harmony with the images to convey the dull repetition and anodyne ritual that make up any addiction.
nounBack to top
A painkilling drug or medicine.
- It displays diuretic, anodyne, styptic, digestive, antihelminthic, expectorant, antipyretic, and antiemetic properties.
- It is an anti-inflammatory, tonic astringent, diaphoretic, stomachic, nervine, anodyne and antiseptic.
- The root, which is rather toxic, has anodyne and soporific properties.
Words that rhyme with anodynecelandine • androgyne
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan