Definition of anole in English:
A small, mainly arboreal American lizard with a throat fan that (in the male) is typically brightly colored. Anoles have some ability to change color. Also called chameleon.
- Genus Anolis, family Iguanidae: numerous species, in particular the green anole (A. carolinensis), which is popular as a pet
- Check out your local pet shop and look into anoles, chameleons, and skinks, among many others.
- Just six months later the anoles were almost exclusively tree-dwelling, and longer-legged lizards had died in disproportionate numbers.
- Trunk-ground anoles possess long hindlimbs that result in high-speed locomotion, but impair movement on narrow perches, presumably because of the difficulty of maintaining the lizard's center of mass directly over the narrow branch.
Early 18th century: from Carib.
Definition of anole in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan