Any of a number of thrush-sized ant-eating birds.
- ● a large antbird (three genera in the family Formicariidae). ● an African thrush (genus Neocossyphus, subfamily Turdinae, family Muscicapidae: four species). ● another term for pitta1
More example sentences
- MacArthur studied four species of ant-thrushes in South America and discovered that they used different levels within the vegetation for feeding.
- When the pedestrian falls in with a train of these ants, the first signal given him is a twittering and restless movement of small flocks of plain-coloured birds (ant-thrushes) in the jungle.
- That's the song of the Rufus Fronted Ant Thrush, a very rare species with a very small range in southwestern South America.
Definition of ant-thrush in:
- The British & World English dictionary