- An insectivorous, long-legged, short-tailed bird that typically has dark gray plumage in the male and brown in the female. Antbirds, found mainly in the tropical forests of South America, often feed on insects that have been disturbed by swarms of army ants.
More example sentences
- Family Formicariidae: several genera, in particular Myrmeciza, Cercomacra, and Drymophila
- Here we report an 8-year study of this system in a tropical passerine bird, the dusky antbird.
- Small flies laid their eggs in the bodies of the escaping insects; antbirds grabbed most of the bugs the flies didn't claim.
- Likewise, trunks for foraging woodpeckers and vegetational structures for dead-leaf foraging antbirds are found throughout the midstory, often extending into the understory and canopy.
More definitions of antbirdDefinition of antbird in:
- The British & World English dictionary